Thursday, May 2, 2013

Jack Harper, Jack Reacher, Staccee Jaxx, or just plain Jack....

Tom Cruise in Oblivion

Back in the 80's, Tom Cruise was America's action sweetheart. Playing the hero in all of his movies seemed to be his calling, and boy did he live up to that calling. From being in a range of action movies back in the day, each of his movies were full of an excitement that only "The Cruise" could supply...but now and days it seems a little stale. Each of his characters resembles the last in an almost identical way, leaving most, especially me, unsatisfied. In this movie it is no different from his others, even playing ANOTHER character named Jack. This movie, to me, felt like another action movie where Cruise plays the "troubled" hero looking for answers about himself. I've seen Cruise play such great characters, (ie: look at Born the Fourth of July and Magnolia), but this movie left me with an empty feeling, a feeling of when will this movie be over. The movie felt way too long and the writing for it was just not good. The characters developments were not played out in a way where I felt sorry for them or related to them in any way.
The acting also didn't help this situation out either. Tom Cruise played a strong Jack, but yet again playing characters named "Jack" seem to be his specialty. The female lead of the story Julia, played by Olga Kurylenko, is a generic female character that is so flatly acted that it makes my heart weep for the strong female leads that don't need a hero constantly.... or in this case Tom Cruise whispering cheesy lines to her before she goes to sleep. Now not everything about this movie is bad, the visuals are absolutely remarkable and breath taking. Kudos to the visual department for making another flat action movie into a beautiful sight for the eyes. The acting in the movie isn't all bad either. A well done performance by Andrea Riseborough who plays the lovesick Victoria is the only character in the movie that made me feel anything remotely close to impressed, acting wise. I'm surprised the actress hasn't been in more things and I hope I see her in more things. All in all the movie fell flat to impress me. The acting was bad, the plot was too familiar  and the writing was bland, but thank goodness for the visuals because that's the only thing saving this movie from being another forgettable action flick from 2013. I expect more from Mr. Cruise, but I guess its safe to say leave the hero action for the real superheros (ie: The Avengers, Iron Man, Batman, Spider Man, etc..) and pick more gritty roles Tom. For I do truly believe Cruise is a very talented actor, he just needs to learn how to pick his roles better.

My Rating: C+

~PCD             

No comments:

Post a Comment