Sunday, April 7, 2013

Good, Bad ....She's the girl with the chainsaw

(Warning some slight Spoilers)
When I first heard that they were remaking "The Evil Dead" I was disheartened. Why would they touch a masterpiece such as the original "Evil Dead". When Ash himself came out and said it wasn't so much a remake more like its own movie, I felt a bit better. So I got ready, put on my big girl pants and went to see the movie....and boy am I glad I did. Now before I go on with my review, I will say the movie isn't perfect. Far from it....some parts are a bit dull and predictable and the gore is a bit excessive, but what it lacks in that department it makes up for in the well acted performances of a bunch of unknowns and the scary outlook that surrounds the movie. It mixes a perfect amount of terror and funny that it made me smile with memories of the old movies. It does not have a blatant show of funny like the other movies, but it is funny in its own way. Some parts did make me jump, in particular the performance of Jane Levy as Mia, the female "Ash" of the story. She portrayed a terrifying demon for most of the movie and a  terrified young recovering drug addict for the other half. She was believable in both parts and I'm excited to see where her character goes in the sequel (which was announced shortly before the premiere of the movie.) The other performance I particularly enjoyed was that of the young actor Lou Taylor Pucci as Eric, one of Mia's close friends. He seemed to be the voice of reason and knew almost immediately what was going on. If we are being critical, he appears to be the reason of all of this and he knows it. He tries to get everyone on board with what is happening and at first they all ignore his ideas, but when blood starts to hit the fan they begin to realize his pleas and Mia's were right all along. He gives a funny, yet startling scary performance. You feel bad for the guy and you know his voice of reason shtick is either just going to get him killed or it may save him, you never know see the movie! But either way I enjoyed his character, and he became my fast favorite. The movie is a completely different entity from the other "Evil Dead's" but it does have a couple of winks to the other movies. For example, they show the famous necklace that was featured in the first two "Evil Dead's", they show Ash's old car, they show the possessed "hand" from "Evil Dead 2", and of course the power tools are not far behind every character, especially the famous chainsaw. Now with all of my enjoyment for the movie one thing seemed to bother me....Where was the female Ash we were promised? I loved Jane Levy in the movie, but in the beginning I didn't see the Ash in her I was expecting. But I was wrong. Towards the end, she became a fighter and therefore the Ash I was waiting for. With chainsaw in hand she was no longer the damsel in distress and was cursing off demons and killing them at a college level. She was a bad-ass and I was happy to see it. If you are interested in seeing this movie, I say think no longer and go. It's worth it and I promise you will enjoy it. Keeping reminding yourself though, if you are a fan of the original "Evil Dead's"...this is not those movies, it is different and should be accepted as such. Go to see a new movie, not a remake and I promise you will enjoy it.
~Pop Culture Darling 

No comments:

Post a Comment